Looking for RAID Drivers

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Mon Sep 22 20:40:21 UTC 2008

Elizabeth Bevilacqua wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 10:08 PM, John Hubbard <ender8282 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Linux implements its own software raid.  True hardware
>> raid is pretty expensive and not very common.  Unless you spent a good
>> chunk of cash on your board, I would guess it is actually software raid.
>
> And lest you get concerned about spending money on this card and not
> being able to use it for RAID - benchmarks have shown that Linux
> software RAID is faster than most of the RAID cards you can buy. So
> you'll still be making out fine (or better!) by using the controller
> as simply an SATA controller and then using Linux software RAID.

I'd REALLY like to see those benchmarks.  Because I simply don't believe
it.  Sure, the linux dm-raid is damn good, but nothing beats having a
controller do the 'package and assembly' work for you off-CPU.  In a
resource intensive setup S/W RAID can't cut it, except for maybe (and I
emphasize MAYBE with Reads).

When you can offload the work to a dedicated controller you free up the
CPU for other processes.  The kernel doesn't know or care about the RAID
functions at that point and can concentrate on what it does best.  Not
to mention, as per my previous post, that the S/W RAID setup is still
not as stable as I would like.  And, even on RAID 5 the likelihood you
lose data is increased with S/W RAID if a drive fails.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support