Nautilus: fails to connect to FTP server without explanation: how to debug ?!

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Mon Sep 22 07:49:42 UTC 2008

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 09:51:39 +1000
Peter Garrett <peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> As Tommy says, sftp is a "secure" ftp that uses the ssh protocols for
> greater security - but it only "works" if you are connecting to a box
> that is running the ssh server, of course, so...

Ah thanks, I understand now.
The "box" is actually my ISP, but that said they have proved their
incompetence over the past few years, so just because their supposedly
"professionals" doesn't mean they have an SSH server running, or
anything more then what is strictly necessary for a grand-ma to show up
pictures of her grand sons on a crappy personnal web site ! ;-/
TO start with, I have just discovered that they have removed public
HTTP access to my files ! In the past I used to use ftp to upload some
files, then give my friends the corresponding HTTP address of the
files/directories, so they can browse the files and grab them. But now,
WITHOUT warning me or anything, they have have made the files on my web
space, invisible to anonymous connections ! Now all people can do is
wathc my website if I happen to have one, and that's it ! I can nont
use my web space as file storage/sharing facility anymore (unless I
give my friends my ftp password of course, which I won't do, plus they
don't want to bother with ftp stuff, whereas HTTP access was very
simple from a web browser!).

Sorry for the rant.. just to mean that I woulnd't be surprised if my
ISP didn't have an SSH server running ! Chances are they don't even
know what it is ! Arf arf... ;-/

--
Vince, tired of incompetent yet major ISP's in France, pfff...