Nautilus: fails to connect to FTP server without explanation: how to debug ?!

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Sun Sep 21 15:36:02 UTC 2008

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 17:23:52 +0200
Gilles Gravier <gilles at gravier.org> wrote:

> Vincent,
>
> I've looked at the log files on my system (my Ubuntu server runs proftpd).
>
> If, in Nautilus, you open the location "ftp://user:password@server/"...
> what is actually done is that the ftp session is opened on the server,
> indeed, but the user name that is sent is "user:password"... not "user".
>
> So if your user "USER" has a password "PASSWORD"... when you do open
> "ftp://USER:PASSWORD@x.x:x:x/" then the ftp server at x.x.x.x asks you
> for the passord of the user "USER:PASSWORD". Since there is no user
> called "USER:PASSWORD" (at least I assume this is the case on your
> system) then of course, whatever password you type is always incorrect,
> and the server keeps re-asking for a password, so Nautilus keeps
> prompting you again.
>
> My intuition is that either Nautilus doesn't accept "user:password"
> syntax in FTP for security reasons... or there may be a flag to set to
> enable it... or this is a bug, in Nautilus.
>
> Gilles

thanks for investigating Gilles,

However I don't think this is the problem, since Nautilus can connect
just fine to another server I have access too (hwich also requires a
password).

So it happens that Nautilus is having a problem with only one of the
two servers use, not both... weird.

I think I will open a bug report about it, because there really is no
way to get Nautilus to spit out any debug info while it's trying to
connect, so only the devs can trouble shoot it I think !
On my way to Launchpad... ;-)

Regards,

--
Vince