Laptop with external monitor, screen resolution glitches

tchomby tchomby at googlemail.com
Sun Sep 21 01:12:25 UTC 2008

Ah! You're right, when you said I had a 1024*768 screen 'on top off' a
1280*1024 screen it clicked,
the 'Monitor Resolution Settings' window actually shows a picture of the
smaller laptop screen on top of the larger external screen. I hadn't
realised what  this picture meant or that I could interact with it, but in
fact I can click on the screens in this image and put them side by side,
etc., instead of on top of each other. Unfortunately if I do this then click
Apply it doesn't seem to work, the screen blanks for a second then when it
comes back the screens have gone on top of each other again. But what did
work was setting the resolution of the smaller screen to 'Off', now
everything follows the larger screen as it should. Only problem is the
smaller screen automatically comes on again whenever I open the laptop lid,
but I should be able to avoid that.

Thanks! Thanks for the xrandr/grandr tip too.