when is the file /etc/profile and /etc/environment loaded

David Fox dfox94085 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 20 03:21:03 UTC 2008

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 7:41 PM, lucky.rand <lucky.random at gmail.com> wrote:

> Certainly, I could change the  S98mldonkey-server file directly and
> also ugly. But I don't think it's a good solution. Hence, I'd like to

You might want to set those things in the server start section because
even though they may be the same or even different from system wide
settings, I'm not sure that the system default environment is even
loaded at that point - to me it does not make sense to include
/etc/environment or /etc/bash_profile until the per-users shells are
set up, and that's about the time login: happens, or the gdm/kdm
equivalent - and the system is well up and running in a multi-user
environment.

Certain commands and environments (crontabs, for instance) run in a
restricted environment and you shouldn't depend on being able to
access user-level environments or profiles when in those environments.
As you probably know, each process on a unix system can run with
environment settings completely different and untouched from other
processes.