Real Player, WAS Re: Relicensing the AMR codec for inclusion in Ubuntu

David Fox dfox94085 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 20 01:38:58 UTC 2008

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 11:46 PM, Chris Jeffries <chris at candm.org.uk> wrote:

> I can confirm that it is NOT the horrible beast it once was. OTOH, I
> would much rather be using open source if I could - however, compared to
> BBC I am a very small fish.

What about mplayer plugins? I have no problems listening to the BBC
over the net using their "Windows Media" preference - it brings up
mplayer plugin in a window and streams it fine. OTOH, I might be using
non-free codecs.

I can (typically) also listen to the BBC by bookmarking the "rm" file
link (saving that link to a file - usually it's a rm or ram (real
media) file - then open that in Amarok for example, and it plays.

I used to have realplayer back when I was using Debian, and other
versions, of Linux, but I stopped using it and didn't even bother to
install it when I loaded 64 bit ubuntu hardy on my new box back in
May.

Other players should do fine with it - xine (and various related
flavors of xine and things that use the xine back ends), vlc, mplayer,
etc. What you really need to decode real media is the "cook" library,
and that is probably something that's not completely open - or in
medibuntu.

In short, it's been a while since I *had* to use realplayer to listen to BBC.