Dual Monitors with Radeon HD 2400 Pro

Job Evers jobevers at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 17:05:02 UTC 2008

Charlie Kravetz wrote:
> Here is another page on the community help wiki that might help:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Video
>
> Basically, they refer you back to the ati page for dual head (dual
> monitor), https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver#MergedFB

Charlie - thanks a ton for your help.  Unfortunately, this is where I
just start to get confused - there are so many options.  I don't know
which is best, which will work or which I'm using  incorrectly.

As I understand it, I can choose to use either the proprietary driver
(fglrx - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI) or the
open source driver (ati - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver)

As a note, I'm currently using the prop driver.

Then, from there I seem to have a couple of different options to try to
get dual-head support
Prop. Driver:
-xrandr: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config
-BigDesktop: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1773544

Open Source driver:
-xrandr
-MergedFB: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver#MergedFB or

So, I've tried the instructions for BigDesktop using the prop driver;
that hasn't worked.
I've tried the instructions for XRandR, and that hasn't worked.

I'd prefer to stick with the proprietary driver (as it scares me a bit
to have to go through the process of removing it, install the
open-source driver and then hope it works)

 > You may need to define 2 screens in the "ServerLayout" section. I only
 > see one screen defined now, which may be why they are clones.

I don't have a good understanding of how X configuration works (who
really does... the documentation is intense), so I don't understand what
exactly it would do to put a second screen in the ServerLayout?
(should the documentation on https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config be updated)

 > good luck,

I feel like I'll need it.