Relicensing the AMR codec for inclusion in Ubuntu

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 19 01:08:07 UTC 2008

On 09/18/2008 04:58 PM, John Hubbard wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> On 09/18/2008 03:54 PM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>
>>> I would rather drown in a septic tank, thank you. I remember RealPlayer well.
>>>

>> Works well for me. What problems did you have with it?
>>

> I just used it under windows and I remember it trying to take over my
> entire computer. It wanted to open everything, manage my downloads and
> one time it even tried to wipe my butt. I felt so violated that I swore
> to never use it again.
> Is is a different beast under linux?

Seems reasonably well behaved. Besides... it's pretty unlikely that RP
can take over much of anything on linux. You could of course just run
the Helix OSS software upon which RP linux is based:

http://www.real.com/linux
  https://player.helixcommunity.org/

And for Dotan:
https://symbian.helixcommunity.org/