Relicensing the AMR codec for inclusion in Ubuntu

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 18 22:47:53 UTC 2008

On 09/18/2008 02:19 PM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> I have requested from th 3GPP organization to relicense the AMR codec
> so that it can be included in Ubuntu and other Linux distributions.
> They seem very interested and have requested that I fill out a
> copyright questionnaire to make a formal request. I am not a lawyer
> nor a software engineer, so I would appreciate it if people more
> qualified than I would review the document and email me the results.
> It is attached to the bug which catalyzed the idea:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ffmpeg/+bug/93849 (comment #14)
>
> Thanks. If you know of other software projects that could benefit from
> a relicensing of the AMR codec (pretty much every FOSS Linux
> distribution and media player) then please forward to them this
> message.

I think that you should be aware that Voiceage actually control the
licensing for amr:

http://www.voiceage.com/licamr.php
http://www.voiceage.com/amr_faqs.php
Given the royalty fees involved  (http://www.voiceage.com/amr_licterms.php)
I seriously doubt that you will get them to provide it to Ubuntu or
other distro's for free.

I think that RealPlayer 11 (linux) will play amr files (they have
licenced amr (http://www.voiceage.com/amr_licensees.php)

I suppose that you could use amrb & amrwb as well...
Also see:
http://www.penguin.cz/~utx/amr