PHTML

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Thu Sep 18 21:45:59 UTC 2008

Rashkae wrote:

> Derek Broughton wrote:
>

>> In any case, IE _does_ honour the content type header.
>>

> I created some elaborate tests to prove you wrong (well, elaborate for
> someone who can barely scratch out Hello world) and ended up proving you
> right instead.

Thanks :-)

> If the content type header is one that IE recognizes, it
> gets handled correctly.  Including text/plain, which gets opened in the
> browser rather than downloaded, even if I give it a .bin extension.
>
> Strangely enough, content type application/octec-stream resorts to
> identification from the file name.  so an .html file will get opened in
> IE, whereas firefox will give you the file download dialogue, (with the
> option to open in the browser).

That doesn't really surprise me - octet-stream is a fallback, so it
generally means that Apache (or other web server) couldn't figure out what
it really should have been, and it's not hugely unreasonable for a browser
to try to second guess it.

> This didn't work nearly so well last time I tested it with IE 4, but my
> bad for spreading such outdated info.

IE does _lots_ of things wrong, and the things it does right, it does
kicking and screaming (like tabs - which they insisted their customers
would have asked for if they really wanted them - but they don't give
their "customers" any way to ask), but eventually they manage to get most
things right.  Given that mime types have been around since the dawn of the
web, they _should_ be able to get it right by now!
--
derek