Alarm program - preferably Gnome

Jorge Luis lists at jorge.cc
Thu Sep 18 20:22:17 UTC 2008

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008, Chris G wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 10:01:44PM +1000, Karl Auer wrote:
> > On Wed, 2008-09-17 at 12:44 +0100, Chris G wrote:
> > > How do I add the alarm clock to the task bar?  I can see Clock in my
> > > gnome panel but not an alarm clock.
> >
> > Sorry, it's just "Clock" in the applets selection window. Right click on
> > the panel, select "Add to panel", select the "Clock", click "Add" then
> > "Close". Right click on the clock in the panel to configure it (not much
> > to configure). Left click on the clock in the panel to drop down a
> > calendar for the current month. Events for the current day are always
> > shown. Single click on any other day to see the events for that day.
> > Double-click on any day to bring up the evolution calendar interface,
> > where you can enter and edit appointments, meetings and all-day events.
> >
> Aha!  Thanks.  I have put the clock back into my panel now, I hadn't
> discovered the left click action before though, very useful.

You might want to have a look at remind, which has a graphical component
called tkremind.  The configuration options are unmatched.  I set an
alarm for every Blue Moon that falls on my engagement anniversary (I was
engaged on a Blue Moon).  The man page is 56 screens long, just to give
you an idea of how flexible this program is.  It will run in daemon mode
and pop an alarm --near-mouse, even if you're working several desktops
away from the calendar.  It also alarms in curses mode, in case you work
a lot in the console.  And the code is beautiful.

Good luck,

	JL

--
Jorge Luis <lists at jorge.cc>