USB Storage -deletng files

Chris Jeffries chris at candm.org.uk
Thu Sep 18 00:37:50 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-09-17 at 17:02 +0100, ubuntu-users-request at lists.ubuntu.com
wrote:
>         Sorry, I haven't been reading this thread so I may be out of
>         line, but it
>         looks straightforward to me.  If you remove a usb storage
>         device without
>         properly unmounting it, it will usually need to be fsck'd.
>         Any device not
>         plugged in and recognized at boot time, won't _get_ fsck'd
>         automatically.
>         Any device mounted while needing an fsck, will be mounted
>         read-only (at
>         best!).

        I am sure you are right. However, at the point the problem
        manifested, I had not done that. I only pulled it out of Ubuntu
        after trying everything i could think of (which wasn't very
        much) to get some disk space back. By that time it was ALREADY
        read only. So it must have been caused by something else.

        Chris