libc6 broken - Can't install any apps - Hardy 8.04

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Sep 17 15:18:20 UTC 2008

Rick Knight wrote:

> I enabled Hardy-proposed and ran apt-get update. Everything seems to be
> fine again. I was even able to install gramofile and it's dependencies
> without problem. So, you were right, I am past the problem. I wouldn't
> mind know what caused the problem though in the first place.

I _suspect_ encfs has a packaging bug.  I don't know what the mechanism is,
but packages that depend on libc6 generally issue messages about deferred
processing of ldconfig after installation.  This specifically gets around
the problem of having libc6-i686 and libc6 out of sync (it may handle other
problems, too, but that one I know about).  Since that was exactly what
happened to you, I suspect encfs hasn't been updated to do this deferred
processing.
--
derek