OT: Suggestions for Ubuntu Server

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Wed Sep 17 14:28:45 UTC 2008

Craig Puchta wrote:
> I want to thank everyone for all the great ideas/recommendations. I
> think I will shy away from email server/DynDNS for now, don't want my
> first mail server experience to be a traumatic one.
> I think I'm going to just work on securing my server for now.

Indeed, you'd be layering complication on top of problems if you run a
mail server with a dynamic DNS setup. Spam and virus problems are making
people resort to more and more layers of crap to fend it off rather than
turn to a solution that actually heavy handedly fixes the problem...so
on top of managing problems and glitches because your email has DNS
dynamically shifting (and the MX records), you have things like SPF,
reverse lookups, RBLs probing you, possibly banning you, relay problems,
etc. etc...

You're doing a favor to yourself by either learning the ins and outs of
email administration from someone more experienced and using a static IP
in the long run :-)