usb dial up modems

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Wed Sep 17 13:07:30 UTC 2008

squareyes wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> squareyes wrote:
>>

>>> Hi all,
>>> can anyone recommend a small usb dial up modem
>>> that works out of the box?
>>> Many thanks
>>> Take Care
>>> Winton
>>>

>>     Have you tried Google?
>>
>> Karl
>>

> Been there,
> am looking for one I don't need to install any drivers etc,
> may have to use it on other people's machines, and serial to usb needs
> external
> power supplies. Closest seems to be a Zoom, but none available here.
> Others listed as Ubuntu compatible
> all seem to have problems setting them up, and don't fancy any problems
> if I need top connect it to some one else's
> computer.
> Thanks,
> Take Care
> Winton

    Hi Winton I was using Linux and a telephone modem years ago and it
was a simple rule. It HAD to be an external modem if you were using
Linux. They were were all Serial Cable type then :-)

    Today I should think any modem using a USB port would be fine. I
can't see how they could of-load much computer power to the computer. So
those that have a lot of Windows software are just trying to make it
work easy on Windows.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI