Ubuntu Studio question

Eberhard Roloff tuxebi at gmx.de
Tue Sep 16 13:23:44 UTC 2008

Michael Falkenburg schrieb:
> Hello.
> Perhaps this question should be directed to a Studio-related forum, but
> when you see the nature of the "dilemma" you'll understand WHY I've sent
> it here...
>
> What I'm experiencing (on a different box) is that with in a matter of
> minutes the initially strong(70-100%)wireless connection is dropped.
> Sometimes it'll happen while email is downloading, sometimes it's while
> file updates are taking place.
>
> I'm open to any suggestions as to how to solve this deal. Please ask any
> questions that you might need for clarification.
>
> However, if you ask me about  WHAT such-and-such information might be
> (like, for the current setup),  please also inform ME about how to go
> about finding that info that you need.
> Linux is new for me...can you tell?
>
> Thanks-in-advance,
>
> Michael

Hi,
I would start with taking your computer to where your wireless router
(or ap for that matter) is located. Within 1 m  or so of distance,
does the problem persist?

If not, then you probably need a better antenna and/or try different
antenna positions.

If yes, look into "other wifi networks around". If there are any, what
channels do they use? The general rule with 2.4ghz wifi (as is usual)
is, iirc, is that you should use a channel a least 4 nummerary
channels away from the next strongest wifi network. Possibly you can
get your wifi neighbour(s) to change their respective channel
settings, if this is your problem.

For another check, preferably, you should use your very own problem
setting, maybe with windows via dualboot. This is because different
adaptors behave differently on Windows or Linux and "in between". ;-))

Kind regards
Eberhard