Best way to share Thunderbird Profiles across multiple machines.

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Mon Sep 15 11:56:09 UTC 2008

damian wrote:

> quick email from one machine but have to synchronise everything first!
>
> How easy is this to set up? I considered myself a geek when I was a
> windows user. Now I feel quite lacking in geekness since I moved over to
> Linux and I really don't want to mess up all my email.
>
> What would be the best/easiest program to use from the ones you have
> mentioned?
>
> Cheers
> Damian

Setting it up isn't hard, there are plenty of good tutorials online for
whatever IMAP server you want to use.  And, I recommend this method as
well.  If you have a box at home that can store the mail, having a
single point for packing up mail is much better.

For IMAP, I recommend Dovecot.  It's always been reliable and easy to
set up.  But any IMAP server will work fine.  I've used most of them at
various times.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support