Virtualbox performance issues

Keith Clark keithclark at k-wbookworm.com
Mon Sep 15 03:05:42 UTC 2008

NoOp wrote:
> On 09/14/2008 03:11 PM, Keith Clark wrote:
>
>> I am running Virtualbox 1.5.6_OSE and am experiencing very poor
>> perfomance.  I have 4 GB RAM installed and still my mouse is very jerky
>> and slow to respond and my desktop is limited to 800x600 resolution.
>>
>> I have guest additions installed and it seems to really do nothing that
>> I noticed.
>>
>> I'm looking for suggestions on what to try next.  I've tried asking the
>> same question over at Virtualbox's sight and have gotten no response at
>> all, well except other users with the same issues.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Keith
>>

> You might want to give the PEUL version a try:
> http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
>
> Older versions are here:
> http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Download_Old_Builds
>
> Note: before you do, be sure to backup your ~/.VirtualBox folder just in
> case you need to restore.
>
> There were considerable improvements since 1.5.6. I've found 2.0.2 to
> work quite well. Others (Steven Davies-Morris) had problems with the 2.x
> versions and had to stick with 1.6.6 on his system; so I'd start with
> 1.6.6, see how well that works for you first.

I've also noticed that is highly depends on the o/s that you are running
in the virtual machine.  I tried Mint and PCOS2008 and both had problems
with the display size, they would only go as high as 800x600.  PCOS
also ran quite slow and jerky.  Mint ran pretty smoothly if I let it
stabilize itself for 5 minutes or so.

I also tried Mandriva One Spring 2008 and it was the best.  Flawless.
Full 1024x768 and fast and smooth.

Just my experience.

Keith