How to change order of start scripts?

Erik Christiansen dvalin at internode.on.net
Sun Sep 14 13:14:18 UTC 2008

On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 02:06:37PM +0200, Josef Wolf wrote:
> Thanks for your answer, Erik!

No worries. :-)

> On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 09:48:59PM +1000, Erik Christiansen wrote:
> > On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 01:10:39PM +0200, Josef Wolf wrote:
> >
> > Since you still have /etc/rc3.d/, we'll assume the traditional process.
>
> No.  Upstart is installed here.  Upstart manages backward compatibility.

That line seems to agree with the preceding. With upstart maintaining
compatibility, the traditional process remains in effect. That is
evidenced by the presence if /etc/rc?.d directories.    ;-)

Even in ubuntu 7.10, the "init" process is upstart code, and the
traditional process is supported by scripts in /etc/event.d.

The originally posed problem is one of traditional process, because your
files are in /etc/rc3.d/.

> AFAIK, sysvinit is going to die.

Not only within ubuntu. Other distros are considering adopting it too.
An event based init is needed.

> So I'd prefer a method that works with upstart.

That has been described.

> For the transition time, it would be preferable to have a method
> that works with sysvinit also.

That has been described. I believe you accept that "Upstart manages
backward compatibility." If you're not totally convinced, please look in
/etc/event.d/rc3. Even on my ubuntu 7.10 distro that says "This task
runs the old sysv-rc runlevel 3 (user defined) scripts".

Please don't count on anything you do now in /etc/rc?.d directories
retaining eternal viability. Last time I looked, upstart jobs will be
defined in files in /etc/init/jobs.d, but the file format is not yet
stable. My plan is to deal with that once it arrives.

Have fun,

Erik

--
Remember, Grasshopper, falling down 1000 stairs begins by tripping over
the first one.                             -- Confusion