trouble adding another harddrive.

Mumia W. paduille.4062.mumia.w+nospam at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 14 06:16:30 UTC 2008

On 09/13/2008 04:52 PM, lists wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i want to add another harddrive, but if i do it ubuntu refuse to start. :(
>
> i have 2x 120 GB IDE drive (/dev/sda & /dev/sdb).
>
> now i want to add a 320 GB SATA drive but i see that the newly installed
> drive is /dev/sda.
>
> how do i fix this?
>
> greets

See if you can configure your BIOS to sequence the SATA drives after the
IDE drives; that should let the SATA drive be recognized as /dev/sdc or
something else later than /dev/sdb.

If that's not possible, you can use UUID values to help you boot. I
can't say for sure that will work if you use an initrd rather than an
initramfs, but it's worth a try. By default, Ubuntu sets you up with an
initrd.