Sweeping the Machine

David Fox dfox94085 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 13 20:57:10 UTC 2008

On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 1:13 PM, Charlie Brune <Ubuntu at bruneworld.com> wrote:

> While we're on the subject, does anyone know how to get rid of the "old"
> kernels?  I've got 5 or 6 installed, and I'm pretty sure I don't need
> ALL of them.  :)  I think Fedora had a simple command to get rid of them.

Pretty much I just do aptitude remove <name of old linux image> after
listing the various linux images I have lying around. I had to do this
before when I had limited disk space and those images sure do take up
quite a lot of room. It's not just the kernel, it's all the other
stuff like initrds and modules in /lib/modules that take up much of
the room.

I think you should be able to get by with the most current kernel and
one prior release unless you're doing specialty testing stuff.

I haven't been running Ubuntu long enough to accumulate too many kernels yet :).

dfox at newbox:~$ dpkg -l linux-image*
| Status=Not/Installed/Config-f/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/t-aWait/T-pend
||/ Name                              Version
 Description
+++-=================================-=================================-==================================================================================
un  linux-image                       <none>
 (no description available)
un  linux-image-2.6                   <none>
 (no description available)
ii  linux-image-2.6.24-16-generic     2.6.24-16.30
 Linux kernel image for version 2.6.24 on x86/x86_64
ii  linux-image-2.6.24-19-generic     2.6.24-19.41
 Linux kernel image for version 2.6.24 on x86/x86_64
ii  linux-image-generic               2.6.24.19.21
 Generic Linux kernel image
dfox at newbox:~$