Default editor

Florian Diesch diesch at spamfence.net
Sat Sep 13 19:47:36 UTC 2008

Nigel Henry <cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr> wrote:

> Personally I use GUI text editors most of the time (Gedit,Kwrite,etc), as it's
> easy to find the files that I want to edit. I have made changes
> to /etc/X11/xorg.conf though, and have lost the Xserver. Not using vi/vim on
> a regular basis, I found that nano was easier to use for the odd occasion
> that I needed to use a text mode text editor.
>
> the biggest problem I find in using text mode text editors is finding the file
> that I want to edit, and it's name.
>
> For example. nano /etc/X11 results in "this is a directory", and unless you
> know the filename that you want to edit in /etc/X11 you're back to square
> one.

vim and Emacs give you a listing of /etc/X11/ where you can select the
file you want to edit. They also have file name completion when
opening a file. In nano you get the listing by pressing Ctrl-R Ctrl-T.

Maybe you want to have a look at fte, it's a menu driven text mode editor

   Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>