Default editor

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Sat Sep 13 17:12:01 UTC 2008

On Saturday 13 September 2008 17:54, PleegWat wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
> > Jason Wilson wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >> I apologize in advance if this is a bit off-topic. Using Ubuntu 8.04,
> >> any time I double-click on a text file, gedit opens up. It seems that it
> >> is set as my default text editor. How do I change it? I'd like to use
> >> GVim as I like it better. So, what's the process to change default
> >> editors in Gnome?
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance.
> >>
> >> ----------------------
> >>
> >> | Jason Wilson       |
> >> | jwilson at noosaj.com |
> >> | www.noosaj.com     |
> >>
> >> ----------------------
> >
> >     Choose a file that causes Gedit to be called. Right click the file
> > and click on Open with and it will now be Gedit. Reset it to Gvim and
> > you will be set. Now...why anyone wants vim as an editor is beyond me :-)
> >

> > Karl
>
> Well, once you're past the learning cliff, vi is simply a much faster to
> use, more powerful editor. IMHO of course.
>
> PleegWat

Personally I use GUI text editors most of the time (Gedit,Kwrite,etc), as it's
easy to find the files that I want to edit. I have made changes
to /etc/X11/xorg.conf though, and have lost the Xserver. Not using vi/vim on
a regular basis, I found that nano was easier to use for the odd occasion
that I needed to use a text mode text editor.

the biggest problem I find in using text mode text editors is finding the file
that I want to edit, and it's name.

For example. nano /etc/X11 results in "this is a directory", and unless you
know the filename that you want to edit in /etc/X11 you're back to square
one.

I've never known how to find out which files are contained in a directory,
when using text mode text editors, so that I can then select a file to edit.

Any help on the problem above gratefully received.

Nigel.