nVidia problems

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sat Sep 13 12:01:59 UTC 2008

David Fox wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 3:59 PM, Steve Flynn <anothermindbomb at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> I believe Karl has an on-board Nvidia chip with a heatsink which isn't
>> properly attached, thus if overheats when pushed into anything other
>> than plain 2d work and causes him grief.
>>

> I might be in the same boat. I have a 6100 embedded nvidia (ECS
> mainboard) that I've had since May. On hotter days, or when doing 3d
> work (for instance Stellarium run more than a couple of minutes brings
> temperature up - according to acpi -V to near-critical levels causing
> shutdowns) or when doing other intensive stuff it comes real close to
> overheating and/or reaching critical temperature - 72 degrees C -
> which is *very* hot.
>
> But I lack a tool to determine what the nvidia chip temperature is.
> There was (or is) a mini kde app that I tried initially, but I could
> not get any values at all out of it.
>
> And I'm not sure if the 3d stuff in and of itself is heating up the
> graphics chip, or the acpi temperature (I gather that is CPU
> temperature). There is a rather large fan & heat sink installed on the
> CPU. But my guess is I may need further cooling.

    You sound as if your problem is similar to all of them. I got a web
page that alleges that the nVidia chips are made very poorly. The
picture makes it appear that the chip itself is square with rounded
edges sitting on a small piece of multilevel circuit board much like a
motherboard has.

    So I am going to look at mine. It is very possible the nVidia chip
is soldered right to the motherboard. A aluminum heat sink is sitting on
top of the chip. I expect it needs some material between the heat sink
and the chip.

    Here is a URL of interest:

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/09/01/why-nvidia-chips-defective

Karl