home directory shortcut

Chris racerx at makeworld.com
Sat Sep 13 00:59:07 UTC 2008

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 09:30:24 +1000
Karl Auer <kauer at biplane.com.au> wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-09-12 at 10:33 -0700, Pastor JW wrote:
> > On Friday 12 September 2008 06:13:05 am Karl Auer wrote:
> > >
> > > HOWEVER: You have reminded me of an even simpler way to achieve
> > > what the OP wanted: Just drag and drop the "Home Folder" entry
> > > out of the "Places" list onto the desktop. You will end up with
> > > exactly what I described in the previous paragraph and an earlier
> > > message.
> >
> > Once a person does that, how would one put it back away???
>
> Right click on the icon. Select "Delete". It deletes the object from
> the desktop, not the directory it points to. If you are like me, you
> will carefully test that last statement :-)
>
> The technique above for putting it on the desktop only works for an
> item in your "Places" list. I suppose you could go the long way
> around and create a bookmark, then drag it out of the "Places" list
> to the desktop.
>
> The more general technique (creating a launcher) works with any
> directory, anywhere, in any UI that has launchers or their equivalent
> - i.e., not just Gnome, not just nautilus.
>
> Regards, K.

Run gconf-editor, nav down to Apps, then Nautilus, then desktop.
Click in the box, home_icon_visible

That should do it. Nothing fancy or unsure if will remove something etc.
There also you can add/remove Trash, Computer, Network icons and
Volumes visible.

To me, this is the Preferred way to do this.

--
Best regards,

Chris

	"There's no place like 127.0.0.1"