[OT] Understanding Linux backup limitations

Young tuxman at knology.net
Sat Sep 13 00:31:40 UTC 2008

Hal Burgiss wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 05:24:43PM -0500, Young wrote:
>> Creating an image backup of a Linux install is a pain. And because of
>
> [...]
>
> I can't imagine why any sane person would see this as the way to do a
> Linux backup. Windows perhaps has a little merit because of some of
> the braindead MS policies that make it difficult to rebuild systems,
> and their braindead licensing scheme. If you want to clone a system,
> or replace a fried out Linux system, just install from scratch and use
> your backed up data. Its easier. And you get a shiny new system for
> your efforts. And at most it cost you the price of one CD. Its a
> complete waste of time and effort to back up program, application and
> system files on Linux.

I think I disagree. Depends on what you mean by "backed up data".

If it includes all my programs and their addons and preferences, and the
panels setup the way I like them, and all of the system preferences,
then I'm with you. I don't mind reinstalling Ubuntu, after all, I've
done that twenty something times and gotten quite good at it. If I just
need to add one big file dump after a reinstall to return a system to
the same state, I'm with you. But. I'm pretty sure that won't work. If
I'm wrong, point me in the right direction.

As for my documents, email, and media files; well they're on a separate
partition anyway, and they get their own backup.

Mark