phantom files

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Fri Sep 12 16:39:47 UTC 2008

Florian Diesch wrote:
> "Mark Haney" <mhaney at ercbroadband.org> wrote:
>
>> Karl Larsen wrote:
>> .
>>>     Mark I am tired of you making every effort to find something to
>>> correct that I said. Yes I know about MINNIX and it was VERY Expensive.
>>> Way out of my price range and it really didn't use the 88386 chip. It
>>> did some strange things.
>> I'm not making any effort.  It's not like I have time to correct you,
>> but someone needs to.  If you don't know anything about what you're
>> talking about, then DON'T.  AFAIK, MINIX wasn't particularly expensive,
>> but it was also a /research/ OS and not for general use.
>
> Minix is a Unix-like OS for educational purpose made by Andrew
> S. Tanenbaum.
>
> When Linux was invented there were at least three commercial Unices
> for i386 (SCO Unix, Scenix and Xenix), and 386BSD was in development.
>

>    Florian

Yeah, you're right. I realized later on that Xenix did have a x86
version along with SCO.  I've never heard of Scenix, though.  But it
does make me interested enough to check into it.

At the time, though, a good portion of the Unix OS's were on mainframes,
and since I learned most of my C and PASCAL programming on one, the Unix
availability on the x86 chipset didn't really register.  In the 80s I
was your typical self-absorbed teen. :)

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support