Modem won't answer

Homer fsunoles at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 14:19:58 UTC 2008

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 8:14 PM, Brian McKee <brian.mckee at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 6:21 PM, Homer <fsunoles at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm making a switch from Debian Etch to Ubuntu Server (Hardy) for some
>> machines I need to dial in to.  The process to get mgetty to work with
>> Debian was adding the following line to the end of /etc/inittab
>> T3:23:respawn:/sbin/mgetty -s 57600 -D /dev/ttyS1
>>
>> Is there a corollary for (K)Ubuntu?  I can dial out without any
>> problems, just can't dial in.
>

> I think you want the /etc/event.d folder...  The system Ubuntu uses is
> called 'Upstart' - This might get you going in the right direction
>
> http://www.linux.com/feature/125977

Thank you.  In the /etc/event.d directory are a set of files tty[1-6].
 I made a copy of tty1, naming it ttyS1.  I then changed the last line
to:
exec /sbin/mgetty -s 57600 -D /dev/ttyS1

I rebooted the machine, though undoubtedly I could have restarted
event.d instead, and my macine answers just as one would expect.  I
didn't have to add a reference to ttyS1 anywhere, so I guess
everything in the event.d directory is run.