home directory shortcut

Kevin Valentine kevin.valentine at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 13:57:33 UTC 2008

kapil singh kushwah wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> can anybody tell me how to create home directory shortcut on desktop ??
> i don't want to create link over here.

This is a gnome/nautilus configuration option.  Here's a quick way to
make the Home icon visible in the desktop from a terminal:
gconftool-2 --set /apps/nautilus/desktop/home_icon_visible --type bool 1

Whenever I install Ubuntu to a PC, I tend to forget all of those
parameters.  I find it easier to open gconf-editor (from the terminal),
go to "apps --> nautilus --> desktop, and toggle home_icon_visible.
 From there you'll notice that you can make other desktop icons visible
too.  For more information on this, go here:
http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2008/06/19/adding-custom-icons-and-disabling-desktop-icons-in-gnome/

-kevin