Apache2 questions

Ashley Benton chuaukantli at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 12:45:41 UTC 2008

Hi,
I set up apache2 and php on ubuntu 8.04 but there are a few things that I am
not sure to understand correctly which are the use of httpd and aliases.
First I want one directory to contains everything used on apache (html
files, css files, php files, pictures..) In this directory I want
subdirectories, one for pictures,one for css, one for each site I am
testing. My trouble is if I anything in a directory inside the directory
that doesn't show up on internet, only what is in the main directory shows
up.
I wanted to create a webpage in the main directory which would link to any
other directory containing the sites as well as the pictures directory or
whatever.
I read about virtual host which could work to separate the sites but
wouldn't work for the pictures, I also read about httpd and aliases but
before I try anything I would like to know which way to go and which files
to modify, httpd or aliases or something else I didn't find yet.
A little guidance to what I need to research over internet would be great
Thank you
Meg