New 8.04, same problem

David Curtis dcurtis at uniserve.com
Thu Sep 11 20:22:24 UTC 2008

elmo wrote:
> I had previously posted "8.04 still locks up" and receive a massive
> amount of reponses. I must apologize for not responding to all the mail
> that poured in.
>
> I couldn't keep up so I decided that rather that trying to fix the
> problem, it would be simpler to just start afresh with a new
> installation so I cleaned out and reformatted the partition, then
> downloaded a new ISO from what I'm sure is a reliable source (MIT) and
> burned a fresh installation disk,  Everything went by the book,ISO
> download, IMAGE CD, installation, etc.
>
> Bootup from the disk went perfectly so I ran a few tests and decided OK
> now I'll try the installed system.  The first thing I tried was to
> change the screen background.....one cursor movement......TOTAL
> LOCKUP!!!!....keyboard dead, mouse action dead,
> So, I pressed the computer power button to shut off the computer, then
> rebooted and tried again to change the screen background.....success!!!
>
> The computer ran perfectly for several operations, then about 5 minutes
> later, a mouse movement and it locked  TOTAL lockup, no keyboard action,
> no mouse action, just a frozen screen display with a cemented cursor.
> Again,lockup is inconsistent and not repeatable.
>
> OK, so now it's back to 7.10 (CD & DVD) which work perfectly both from
> an internal HD and an external HD, So does Debian.
>
> When will 8.10 be available.?
>
> elmo

Elmo,

In a general sense, the first thing you need to do to trouble shoot this
is to make a list of this system's hardware and search for known
problems/bugs with said hardware.  For example, 'Ubuntu 8.04 Nvidia
lockup' gets some decent hits in google. As does 'Ubuntu 8.04 Asus
lockup'. Even better is to input a hardware identifier string into
google like 'Ubuntu 8.04 Nvidia GeForce2 MX 400 lockup'.

With that said, if you type 'lshw' or 'lspci' on a command line, the
hardware that this machine consists of will be displayed. You can write
the pertinent info down or cut a paste it into google. Or for that
matter, cut and paste it into an email so the list can see and say, hey
I got the same card/board/device, this is what I did to fix it/cope with it.

The above is pretty much what I remember from your last thread(s). If
this is a bit beneath your capabilities I apologize. If you need more
help with this then let us know.

7.10 is supported till next spring, so you're good till then if 8.10
does not solve these lockups.

Dave