phantom files

Karl Larsen k5di at
Thu Sep 11 19:30:36 UTC 2008

Carl Friis-Hansen wrote:
> Joep L. Blom wrote:
>> John Masters schreef:
>>> On 11 Sep 2008, at 19:36, Karl Larsen wrote:
>>>> Derek Broughton wrote:
>>>>> Mark Haney wrote:
>>>>>> Here's my take.  (and OPINION only)  I think that the majority of  
>>>>>> Ubuntu
>>>>>> users are from the Windows world.  Ubuntu is pretty good for getting
>>>>>> n00bs on to linux.
>>>>    If your over 50 years old, 100% of you are old Windows and/or DOS
>>>> users. That was what was there before Linux. I enjoyed my old 1984  
>>>> 100%
>>>> Microsoft capable clone for many years with DOS on it. I recall in
>>>> College about 5% of the students bought DOS and the other 95% borrowed
>>>> from them. DOS was the original free operating system :-)
>>>>    Since then they have spent big bucks making it hard to copy the
>>>> latest Windows.
>>> In actual fact Karl, Unix predates DOS by about 10 years.
>> Unix was developed by Kernigan & Richie as they were fed-up with the
>> clumsy way RSTS handled things and the first copies date from 1978 (or 
>> 1976 I forgot).
> I am confused. I thought it was correct that the first UNIX kernel was 
> developed back in late 1960.
> Ref.:
    The point I think is we are not interested when the first Unix 
kernel was made. You and I could not afford that. The big deal was when 
a kid in college got a Unix system running in a computer using a 88386 
processor. This was the big deal and lead to Ubuntu.


	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User
   PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C  ECB6 4A3C 2C54 FE23 53A7

More information about the ubuntu-users mailing list