New 8.04, same problem

elmo elmo at ne.rr.com
Thu Sep 11 18:39:11 UTC 2008

I had previously posted "8.04 still locks up" and receive a massive
amount of reponses. I must apologize for not responding to all the mail
that poured in.

I couldn't keep up so I decided that rather that trying to fix the
problem, it would be simpler to just start afresh with a new
installation so I cleaned out and reformatted the partition, then
downloaded a new ISO from what I'm sure is a reliable source (MIT) and
burned a fresh installation disk,  Everything went by the book,ISO
download, IMAGE CD, installation, etc.

Bootup from the disk went perfectly so I ran a few tests and decided OK
now I'll try the installed system.  The first thing I tried was to
change the screen background.....one cursor movement......TOTAL
LOCKUP!!!!....keyboard dead, mouse action dead,
So, I pressed the computer power button to shut off the computer, then
rebooted and tried again to change the screen background.....success!!!

The computer ran perfectly for several operations, then about 5 minutes
later, a mouse movement and it locked  TOTAL lockup, no keyboard action,
no mouse action, just a frozen screen display with a cemented cursor.
Again,lockup is inconsistent and not repeatable.

OK, so now it's back to 7.10 (CD & DVD) which work perfectly both from
an internal HD and an external HD, So does Debian.

When will 8.10 be available.?

elmo