phantom files

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Thu Sep 11 18:20:34 UTC 2008

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Mark Haney wrote:
>
>> Here's my take.  (and OPINION only)  I think that the majority of Ubuntu
>> users are from the Windows world.  Ubuntu is pretty good for getting
>> n00bs on to linux.  But, with that said, I would think there are fewer
>> really experienced people on this list than other lists.  The fedora
>> list is chock full of people with more linux than windows knowledge.
>>
>> That's not to say the Ubuntu crowd isn't knowledgeable, just maybe less
>> aware of the niceties of linux than some others.  I think part of that
>> problem is due to the fact that Ubuntu is much more GUI-centric than
>> other distros. (IMHO, again).  That makes Windows users more
>> comfortable, but limits what those users can really do with a linux box.
>>   The command line is your friend.  Period.  Know matter what GUI tools
>> might be out there, I can do it from the CLI much faster.
>>
>> Windows machines are typically hamstrung on the CLI.  You can't do all
>> the things there that you can from the CLI in linux.
>>
>> So, feel free to flame, it's just my opinion.
>
> OK, flame on :-)
>
> No, really, you're sort of right.  We have plenty of knowledgeable people
> here, and I'll bet my knowledge of linux internals against 90% of the
> fedora list, but _because_ Ubuntu attracts Windows users, there's a lot
> more volume of less-knowledgeable posters.  I wouldn't even call it a
> signal-to-noise problem, or people (mostly) not knowing what they're
> talking about, as just there's an awful lot of beginner questions!

I do agree there, maybe my phrasing was off, but it did seem to get the
point across.  You find many more 'first timers' on the Ubuntu list
/because/ it's more user friendly.  I started my kids and Mother out on
it, but they graduated to Gentoo.  No more upgrades, just rolling updates.

> otoh, claiming you can do everything in the CLI faster than I can do it in a
> GUI is just plain ignorant :-)

Okay, when I wrote that, I really meant more administration type things.
  Not so much 'regular user' type things.  (Like email, browsing, etc.)
  In that, I stand corrected due to the fact I had one thing in mind and
didn't elaborate.

>> Whereas in linux, you have lots tools that do ONE thing, but does it
>> extremely well.  In linux there is more than one way to skin a cat.
>
> Well, that would be an argument against having two databases that seem to do
> the same thing.

I don't see how that would be an argument against that.  In fact, it
reinforces my point.  There are many more ways to do things in linux,
and you cannot count on each and every system having the basic setup, so
you need to include databases for indexing for your new tool, if that is
what it does.

There is a downside in that you can't assume your favorite tools are on
someone else's system.  But, it does mean you get to learn new stuff
when that happens.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support