phantom files

Pastor JW pastor_jw at the-inner-circle.org
Thu Sep 11 15:28:02 UTC 2008

On Thursday 11 September 2008 04:27:51 am Mark Haney wrote:
> >  Reindexing with Tracker and rebooting
> > changed nothing. The phantom files still showed up with "locate".
> >
> > Anyone have an explanation?

>     Try re-booting. The locate system is re-loaded in a bootup.
>
> Karl

He JUST finished saying "rebooting changed nothing".

> Good grief.  Don't reboot as root run 'updatedb'.
>
> This isn't Windows, you know.

I have been wondering about that as it seems an awful lot of windoze "cures"
and indeed windoze support on this list.  Is Ubuntu really as bad an OS as
windoze?  I look at the top of the page alot to reassure myself and it always
seems to say "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions" but
the subject is fully 90 percent windoze, or windoze type advice!  Reboot,
reinstall, etc, never cure the original problem, and worse they are usually
quite destructive to one's data.  Its like getting a sliver in your foot and
hacking the leg off above the knee to cure it!  In windoze case they
generally take the right leg off to cure the sliver in the left
foot!  ...tthen take the other one off the the next day when the cure didn't
work the first time!

On this question, why are there two separate databases used or if there are,
why when one removes something from one, isn't the other one updated to
reflect the change since they are holding the same file information.  Tracker
seems to get massive so I'd suspect there are bugs to work out there yet.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n><   PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org