KDE 4.1 debug

Jimmy Stewpot mailers at oranged.to
Tue Sep 9 09:52:03 UTC 2008

Hello,

I am currently working on trying to capture some crash logs from a kde
4.1 application crash. Unfortunately when the software crashes I end up
with loads of "no debugging symbols found". I have the following
packages installed and yet get very little in the dump.

ii  kde4libs-dbg
4:4.1.1+really4.1.1-0ubuntu1~hardy1~ppa2             debugging symbols
for the core KDE 4 librari
ii  kdeadmin-dbg-kde4
4:4.1.1-0ubuntu1~hardy1~ppa1                         debugging symbols
for kdeadmin
ii  kdebase-dbg                                4:3.5.10-0ubuntu1~hardy1
                             debugging symbols for kdebase
ii  kdebase-dbg-kde4
4:4.1.1-0ubuntu1~hardy1~ppa1                         debugging symbols
for the KDE 4 base applica
ii  kdebase-runtime-dbg
4:4.1.1-0ubuntu1~hardy1~ppa1                         debugging symbols
for KDE 4 base runtime mod
ii  kdebase-workspace-dbg
4:4.1.1-0ubuntu1~hardy1~ppa1                         debugging symbols
for KDE 4's kdebase-worksp
ii  kdelibs-dbg                                4:3.5.10-0ubuntu1~hardy1
                             debugging symbols for kdelibs
ii  kdenetwork-dbg                             4:3.5.10-0ubuntu1~hardy1
                             debugging symbols for kdenetwork
ii  kdenetwork-dbg-kde4
4:4.1.1-0ubuntu1~hardy1~ppa1                         debugging symbols
for the KDE 4 networking m
ii  kdepim-dbg-kde4
4:4.1.1a-0ubuntu2~hardy1~ppa1                        debugging symbols
for KDE 4 kdepim
ii  kdepimlibs-dbg
4:4.1.1-0ubuntu1~hardy1~ppa2                         debugging symbols
for KDE 4 PIM core librari
ii  kdeutils-dbg                               4:3.5.10-0ubuntu1~hardy1
                             debugging symbols for kdeutils
ii  kxsldbg                                    4:3.5.10-0ubuntu1~hardy1
                             graphical XSLT debugger for KDE
ii  libc6-dbg                                  2.7-10ubuntu3
                             GNU C Library: Libraries with debugging symb
ii  libqt4-dbg
4.4.1-1ubuntu1~hardy1~ppa1                           Qt 4 library
debugging symbols
ii  python-dbg                                 2.5.2-0ubuntu1
                             Debug Build of the Python Interpreter (versi
ii  python-kde4-dbg
4:4.1.1-0ubuntu1~hardy1~ppa3                         KDE 4 bindings for
Python (debug extensions)
ii  python-qt4-dbg
4.4.3-0ubuntu1~hardy1~ppa1                           Python bindings for
Qt4 (debug extensions)
ii  python-sip4-dbg
4.7.7-0ubuntu1~hardy1~ppa1                           Python/C++ bindings
generator runtime librar
ii  python2.5-dbg                              2.5.2-2ubuntu4.1
                             Debug Build of the Python Interpreter (versi
ii  qt-x11-free-dbg                            3:3.3.8-b-0ubuntu3
                             debugging symbols for qt-x11-free binaries

Quiet often I get no crash log at all, other times I get a mix of no
symbols found. Has anyone had these problems in the past? Can anyone
give me some tips on getting a reliable software crash log. I am trying
to debug kopete.

Regards,

Jimmy