umkfs.ext3.or mkfs.msdos

Chris Jeffries chris at candm.org.uk
Tue Sep 9 01:05:42 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-09-08 at 21:56 +0100, ubuntu-users-request at lists.ubuntu.com
wrote:
>         Bart Silverstrim wrote:
>         > Carl Friis-Hansen wrote:
>         >
>         >> Karl, you might miss out on the extra attributes assigned
>         to files in
>         >> ext2 file system. Like owner, rights and more advanced time
>         information.
>         >> If I were you, I would just have one stick with FAT32.
>         >
>         > Unless the UID's don't match between systems :-)
>
>         Been there, then it is something with find and chown :-(
>         --

Karl,

I have not tested the following out with USB sticks, but there is an
ext2/3 installable driver for Windows which I have installed and it
works fine for getting to my Ubuntu hard disk partition from Windows, so
it probably will work for USB sticks too.

I can read AND write AND create AND delete files. The restrictions are
primarily in managing rights and ownerships.

Without rebooting to Windows, I cannot give you chapter and verse, but
if you google for 'ext2 windows' then I am sure you will find it easily.
Although it is called an ext2 driver it works fine with ext3 as well.

Chris