Anyone else get their machine hosed after last update?

Kim Briggs patiodragon at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 23:55:45 UTC 2008

On 9/6/08, Bill Moseley <moseley at hank.org> wrote:
> Anyone else have this this excitement today?

Yes, and no.  I did not have the same experience as you, but I put
this information here for anyone wanting to upgrade to Ubuntu 8.04
with AMD_64 using this video card

nVidia Corporation GeForce 6500

Screen resolution would not go above 800x600.  Letting the proprietary
driver take care of things reduce it to 640x480.  I've been installing
*nixes since 2000 and my opinion was it is too late in the game to
have to do special tweaks.

I installed Debian 4.0 (r4) without issues.  I chose a max resolution
on the monitor of 1600x1200 and it worked fine with the nv driver.
I'm still happy with the Ubuntu machines I have, but it is nice that
less is installed by default (I'm looking at you tracker) in Debian.

cheers,
--
http://kimbriggs.com