How to completely remove an application as well as the configuration files?

Ashley Benton chuaukantli at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 22:15:56 UTC 2008

On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 5:40 PM, Carlos Alberto Alves <
drcaa at predialnet.com.br> wrote:

> Ashley Benton wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I am trying to install apache2, php5, and my sql and I messed up
> > somewhere. Apache was working but stopped when I tried to use ssl. After
> > hours of trying to find where I messed up I wanted to remove apache2 and
> > reinstall it. My problem is sudo apt-get remove apache2 then sudo
> > apt-get install apache2 reinstall apache 2 like it was and doesn't
> > delete my configuration files. I tried sudo apt-get purge apache 2 but
> > apache 2 is still here the way I configured it. What could I do to
> > completely uninstall apache2 and reinstall it with its original
> > configuration files?
> > By doing ls -l I found some file like that :"books~" I am guessing that
> > some files that were saved after a crash but I don't know how to open
> > them. They should be in my home directory but are not (or at least I
> > can't see them) How can I open them and delete them? I tried lost+found
> > but it wasn't there neither.
> > Your help would be appreciated
> > Thank you
> > Meg
> >

> Try dpkg -P {package}.
> HTH,
> * Carlos Alberto Alves                       *
> * mailto:drcaa at click21.com.br                *
> * mailto:drcaa at predialnet.com.br             *

I did it didn't work. As it was told before I had to remove the dependencies
and my configurations files too, that's why I couldn't remove apache2. Now
everything or almost had been removed then reinstalled correctly and is
working.

Thank you

Meg

PROBLEM SOLVED