Synaptic apt etc

James Takac p3nndrag0n at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 15:02:19 UTC 2008

Hi Mumia

On Monday 08 September 2008 14:53:14 Mumia W. wrote:
> On 09/07/2008 07:27 PM, Chris Jeffries wrote:
> > This problem has been touched on in a number of threads, but I'd like to
> > ask specifically.
> >
> > When I install a package (I usually use Synaptic) it sometimes adds a
> > menu entry and sometimes does not.
> >
> > If is does add a menu entry, iit does not give me a choice as to where
> > to add it, and it does not tell me where it has added it.
> >
> > Of course I can scour the menu trees until I find it, and usually, it
> > does put it in a reasonably sensible place.
> >
> > However, when it does not add it to the menu tree, I need to go find the
> > relevant executable and add it to the menu tree myself. However,
> > sometimes it is just not obvious which is the correct executable from
> > amongst the many files that are usually loaded when a package is
> > installed.
> >
> > MY QUESTION
> >
> > Am I being totally thick, or is this a known shortcoming of the package
> > managers. If I am being totally thick, person someone can enlighten me.
> > If not, does anyone know if the problem has been reported and if
> > anything s being done to fix it?
>
> I don't think of it as a shortcoming; however, I almost never use menus
> anyway. If you want to see what files a package has installed, issue
> "dpkg -L <packagename>" ; typically, the binary that executes the
> program is under /usr/bin.
>
> If you're using Gnome, nautilus lets you create desktop icons for your
> programs. You can also compartmentalize those icons by creating desktop
> folders and placing the icons into those folders. I consider that easier
> than creating menu items.

I'm one of those that hates a cluttered desktop. And your approach seams IMHO
to lead more in that direction. And yes, I did say "IMHO (in my humble
opinion)". Menu's definitely help in keeping the clutter on the desktop down.
And of course that's something that is up to the individual user. Afterall,
what suits one may not suit the next person.
James

--
Every being has the Buddha Nature.  This is the self.

Buddhism. Mahaparinirvana Sutra 214