GNOME terminal prints letters blurry in Hardy

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk qrczak at knm.org.pl
Mon Sep 8 13:28:50 UTC 2008

2008/9/8 Karl Auer <kauer at biplane.com.au>:

> Did you perchance install a new font set that contains a monospace font?

No. The same font looks differently in Terminal than in other Gtk
applications (DejaVu Sans Mono in this case, aliased to Monospace, and
being the system monospace font).

Screenshot: http://qrnik.knm.org.pl/~qrczak/tmp/terminal.png

I'm not sure if this is related, but subpixel rendering has been
recently implemented in freetype, and libXft and cairo are beginning
to use that functionality of freetype instead of hacking it
themselves. The libXft and cairo patches for that were still not
official the last time I looked at them, and this feature has patent
issues so it is not built by default in freetype. I have not looked
how Ubuntu treats this.

--
Marcin Kowalczyk
qrczak at knm.org.pl