Installation overwrote windows installation too easily

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Mon Sep 8 11:49:56 UTC 2008

Ken McLennan wrote:
> G'day there One & All,
>
>>     Alas there is no software I am aware of that can tell the
>> difference between Windows and any other data on a Hard Drive.
>>

>    It doesn't have to determine any differences, nor to find what OSes
> are installed anywhere. It needs to halt the process, offer a dialog
> with an explicit warning to the user about what will happen and giving
> them an opportunity to back out just in case they DO have windows (or
> Solaris, or Fedora, or Mandriva, any other OS) installed. It doesn't
> matter whether they do or not, but should provide the warning for a
> worst case scenario.
>
>    I doubt it would be difficult, just a dialog with a "Cancel &
> Return" option and a "Go Ahead and Nuke" option.
>
> See ya,
> Ken

    Loose a lot of Ubuntu converts that way. A Windows user knows little
or even less than that about a computer. You ask them how many hard
drives, they ask "what is a hard drive?".

    In a perfect world everyone would be born computer smart and then
you can ask them to use $sudo fdisk -l and decide from the output. That
was how early Linux was done. A README said "make a partition and give
it an ext2 file system". Then load the system from the cd-rom. Then
there were very few Linux users :-)

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI