DCD playing problem

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 06:53:00 UTC 2008

On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 11:59 PM, stan <stanb at panix.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 07, 2008 at 08:26:52AM +0200, Knapp wrote:
>> This sounds just like the fight we just fought on Kubuntu list.
>> The answer in that case was that the DVD driver is getting named
>> wrong. In my case it was named dvd1. Print a list of your directory.
>> ls -al /dev/DVD*
>
> stan at boo-boo:~$ ls -al /dev/dv*
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 2008-09-07 15:06 /dev/dvd1 -> scd0
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 2008-09-07 15:06 /dev/dvdrw1 -> scd0
>
>> and post it please. You might also go into kafeine > Settings > xine >
>
> Does this look correct?
> --
> One of the main causes of the fall of the roman empire was that, lacking
> zero, they had no way to indicate successful termination of their C
> programs.

That looks just like the bug. It should be /dev/dvd ->scd0

What seems to hapen is that you had an ide dvd player and then it gets
updated to a scd0 player in the software but the ide is not dropped
and takes up the dvd slot but then it does not work because it is no
longer supported that way.

The answer is to raname or if you are brave and dumb remove that file
called /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules and reboot your
computer. Then you should find that dvds play without problems. Let us
know.

--
Douglas E Knapp