8.04 still locks up

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Sun Sep 7 21:07:04 UTC 2008

On Sunday 07 September 2008 21:27, elmo wrote:
> Carl Friis-Hansen wrote:
> > elmo wrote:

> >> When lockup occurs, there's no point in trying any of the suggested
> >> shortcuts because the keyboard is dead and I can't type anything. The
> >> monitor still shows the same display that was there when lockup
> >> occurred.
> >>
> >> The only thing that still works is pressing the power button to shut
> >> down the computer.
> >>
> >> Then, turning the computer back on, everything works normally until it
> >> locks up again.
> >
> > Hi Elmo,
> > I see this thread is still running. I must have missed it, but do you
> > have a PCI-WiFi card in your machine?  -  If so, did it help to remove
> > the card from the machine?
>
> I don't know if I have a PCI-WiFi card.  How can I check?
> elmo

The manual that came with your mobo should tell you. You can also run the
following command which will show all the pci related stuff:
lspci -v

These freeze ups are a real problem. With my Asus M2N-X Plus mobo, I;m getting
freeze ups with F8, F9, Kubuntu GG 7.10, Kubuntu HH 8.04, and Archlinux.
Other Distros, Debian Etch, and Kubuntu Dapper, which are using earlier
kernels, don't appear to be having the same problem. Of course this is not
easy to track, as the freeze ups are not occuring every 30/60 mins for
example. Sometimes I can download updates overnight, and there will be no
freeze. Othertimes the update will run for 2, or 3 hours, then freeze for no
apparent reason.

As an example, on friday I ran updates for my Archlinux install. they were
started just after midnight, and the following morning the machine was frozen
up. Looking at all the logs in /var/log, the only thing I could find was that
sometime after 4am the machine locked up. Nothing as to why it locked up.

The machine for some reason or other just came to a halt, and gave no reason
why.

With my mobo (as above) I've needed to disable acpi in the BIOS to get
anything (install cd's, Live cd's) to boot. then post install for most of the
distros, I've had to append the kernel line with acpi=off. The exceptions are
Kubuntu Dapper, and Debian Etch, which are both using earlier kernels, and do
not appear to have these freeze up problems.

Just some observations, and still have no idea why some of these distros are
freezing up on this Asus M2N-X Plus mobo.

Nigel.