8.04 still locks up

Cybe R. Wizard cybe_r_wizard at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 6 06:56:14 UTC 2008

Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net>  said:
> Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> > I just did this on my machine.
> > That is, from the GUI I <Ctrl><F1>, logged in then issued
>
> I think you mean "<Ctrl><Alt><F1>" - otherwise you are still in your
> GUI.
Yes, indeed.  I left the <Alt> out, didn't I?  It felt strange after I
typed it but I suppose that I didn't proofread.

> > <cat /etc/issue> which returned: Ubuntu 8.04.1 \n \l
> > with nothing replaced.
>
> That's right if you really log in and issue the command. However, my
> suggestion to switch to a terminal login screen wasn't meant to
> really log in. It was only meant to show the use of the issue file in
> the real world, i.e. the login screen itself. I used Ctrl-Alt-F2
> intentionally because on tty2 it is more obvious as there are no boot
> messages left over. On tty1 you have to use the enter key to see the
> login message in question. Well, maybe I should have explained it in
> the previous mail.
>
> Nils

Ah, now I understand and it does show up just that way.  I guess I
never really read the screen before, just typed my login info.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Advertising is a valuable economic factor because it is the cheapest
way of selling goods, particularly if the goods are worthless.