sata_sil driver

Owen Townend owen.townend at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 01:55:55 UTC 2008

2008/9/6 Verde Denim <tdldev at gmail.com>:
> Anyone using this driver in the kernel to mount a SATA drive?
> I have a 500Gb drive which is recognized on boot, shows up in dmesg
> and lspci, and yet there is no device in /dev to mount it.
> I checked around for possible culprits, and a bug was identified in
> 2.6.20 which was supposedly resolved and fixed.
> I'm running 8.04.1 with 2.6.20-17 server.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Jack

Hey,
 I have a Sil3114 PCI card with four sata drives attached which uses
the sata_sil driver. The card has its own POST which should show up
just after the bios screen. Check there that the disk is showing up
and being passed on as a legacy type disk rather than a raid volume.
 I haven't had to play in it myself, but using a different card disks
with a valid partition table are passed through and new disks are held
as raid candidates. This might be what's happening here.

cheers,
Owen.