8.04 still locks up

Steve Lamb grey at dmiyu.org
Fri Sep 5 21:27:18 UTC 2008

On Fri, Sep 05, 2008 at 03:08:15PM -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
> Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
> > Nils Kassube wrote:
> >> would be the place to look but IMHO that isn't very helpful. Anyway, I
> >> think you can see the final string if you use Ctrl-Alt-F2 (or similar,
> >> use Ctrl-Alt-F7 to return to your GUI session) for a terminal login.
> >> There "\n" would be replaced with the host name and "\l" would be
> >> replaced with the terminal name.

> > Odd, but, eh, whatever...

> karl at karl-hardy:/etc$ more issue
> Ubuntu 8.04.1 \n \l

    Dave, Karl, why are you two going on about this when Nils explained it in
the quote both of you did not trim?  the \n \l are replaced with the
appripriate information when you to to a local TTY on the machine.  You can do
that by the key sequence he listed.  I did it on mine and it is exactly as he
said.  It lists "Ubuntu 8.04.1 igbuntu TTY2" as the string.  IE, it was meant
to be seen after getty replaces those characters, not to be displayed
directly from the shell.

       PGP Key: 1FC01004       | main connection to the switchboard of souls.