virtualbox-ose: F key dead for all guests

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Fri Sep 5 15:15:34 UTC 2008

Pierre Frenkiel wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Sep 2008, Bart Silverstrim wrote:
>
>>> Just keep in mind that this is not a free version, free as in 'free for
>>> speech'.
>    Sorry, I don't understand that.
>    The virtualbox.org wiki says:
>
>    The full VirtualBox package is available in binary (executable) form free
>    of charge from the Downloads page. This version is free for personal
>    use and evaluation under the terms of the VirtualBox Personal Use and
>    Evaluation License.
> . . .

There the Open Source Edition and there's the non-source code version
with some additional features.

>> I used the downloaded non-speech version,
>    what do you mean by "non-speech version" ?

There's a phrase used in open-source circles "Free as in speech, not
free as in beer." I think it is to reference a difference between
freeware where the source isn't free and open source which is considered
"truly free".

>>                                               you still have to jump
>> through some hoops on Heron to get USB support working properly :-/
>
>    Can you be more specific? USB is now actually the only remaining problem
>    with my guest OS.

I had to google a bit to get USB working. It involved creating an
additional group to add myself to, editing a couple files in
/etc/init.d,...nothing too outlandish. Google "virtualbox usb heron" and
you should get some hits to describe the steps.