8.04 still locks up

Carl Friis-Hansen ubuntuuser at carl-fh.com
Fri Sep 5 06:06:50 UTC 2008

elmo wrote:
> I thought that I finally had a UBUNTU 8.04 that doesn't freeze and
> lockup but no, after downloads from different sources, the same old
> problem ...it works fine for a up to half hour or so then suddenly, the
> cursor locks and there's nothing I do can free it other than turn the
> computer off and back on and start over.
>
> I've tried trial and error combinations of keypresses to loosen up the
> cursor....no effect.
>
> I restart 8.04 and try repeating what I was doing when the freeze
> occurred but it doesn't freeze again but it freezes when I'm doing
> something completely different.  There's no consistency to the
> occurrence of the freeze.
>
> I've tried installing 8.04 on different partitions but ........same problem.
>
> I have 7.10 installed both on a regular hard drive partition and also on
> an external hard drive and it works perfectly.
>
> The only conclusion I can make is there's some defect in 8.04.
>
> Does anybody have 8.04 that doesn't freeze?  What's the secret?

I have around 20 computers with Ubuntu 8.04. All these computers used to
have 7.10 or 6.04. Two of the computers got the same problem as you
describe, after upgrade to 8.04. The two computers freaking out were
both with PCI wireless network card.
To solve this problem I swapped these PCI cards with USB Air Cruisers.

I think I filed a bug on this, but I am not sure. As you, I could not
reproduce the failure in a consistent manner. I just wonder if your
problem is related.
--
       | Carl Friis-Hansen               | Fiskeryd Nybygget |