Foolproof fix for screen resolution?

Burgoo King burgoo.king at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 00:38:25 UTC 2008

Greetings and thanks in advance for assistance.

In a nutshell, what is the easiest and most foolproof way for me to
change my screen resolution from 1680x1050 to a more readable 1280x768?
The resolution that I want is not offered as a choice in the drop-down
list under System>Preferences>Screen Resolution.

I've installed hardy-heron which seems to work well except for the
screen resolution.

My home-made desktop computer has an Intel 82865G (i810) graphics
adapter on the motherboard.  The monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster 204BW
20" flat-screen TFT-LCD monitor.

My preferred screen resolution is available under MS Windows after
installing Samsung software.  Using the MS Windows program PowerStrip, I
obtained the following ModeLine which is supposed to help in migrating
to Linux.

"1280x768" 80.250 1280 1344 1480 1680 768 769 772 795 -hsync +vsync

I tried pasting that line into the xorg.conf file in another version of
Linux but had unsatisfactory results -- the resolution was right, but I
never saw the task bar again.

Also from PowerStrip, there is this info which is not very meaningful to me.

- PowerStrip timing parameters:
      1280x768=1280,64,136,200,768,1,3,23,80250,514

- Generic timing details for 1280x768:
      HFP=64 HSW=136 HBP=200 kHz=48 VFP=1 VSW=3 VBP=23 Hz=60

- VESA detailed timing:
      PClk=80.25 H.Active=1280 H.Blank=400 H.Offset=48 HSW=136
V.Active=768 V.Blank=27 V.Offset=1 VSW=3

Lastly, following is the content of the current etc\X11\xorg.conf file.
It seems to be short on details about the monitor and screen.  I'll
appreciate a tip on how to proceed from here with minimum risk of
fouling up the otherwise nice configuration.

-- Charles Rathbone

# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
#   sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier    "Generic Keyboard"
    Driver        "kbd"
    Option        "XkbRules"    "xorg"